Around the time Rains County was formed in 1870, a new settlement was being created on a site east of what is now Hwy. 19 and north of the Rains/Hopkins County line. The community was originally known as Fowler’s Store, and the name became official in 1879 when M.W. Fowler opened a post office there. The name was changed to Cold Hill in 1883 and Bonanza in 1898.
Read the full story in the June 16, 2020 edition of the Rains County Leader.